I have been struggling to fix this rather weird disk space issue for quite some time now. Basically, underlying thin provisioned disk on vSphere 5.5 was extended by additional 5GB (from 125 to 130GB) and expanded using Disk Management from within the OS as per the normal routine. No problems thus far BUT Explorer in Windows Server 2012 R2 was not reporting the increased space and was still showing the 125GB total size! How odd. Here is the screenshot for illustration purposes showing Disk Management and Windows Explorer both reporting different values!
I must have done the disk space increase from vSphere and extension from the guest OS hundreds of times and never had any real issues. There are tons of potential solutions to this problem, quite a few posted here:
CrashPlan woes continue!
This error is from an earlier version of the CrashPlan software i.e. 4.3.0 which one of my customers is still running. So here it is – fully appreciate you won’t be able to read native Polish language but the error states that:
“Unable to connect to backup engine, retry?”
Monday morning eh? It surely is!
Trying to install CrashPlan 4.4.1 (CrashPlan-x64_4.4.1_Win.exe) is proving to be a lot more hassle than it should..
Error messages shortly after kicking off the .msi installation:
The CrashPlan Setup Wizard ended prematurely
CrashPlan setup ended prematurely because of an error. Your system has not been modified. To install this program at a later time, please run the installation again.
Click the “Finish” button to exit the Setup Wizard.
Cleaning up NetApp SnapManager for Virtual Infrastructure snapshots in VMware vSphere can be a pain if you have large number of VMs being backed up by SMVI. In my case there are snapshots that are consistently left behind like so:
which just pile up as the days go on. I think this is some sort of bug in either vSphere API or the way NetApp handles snapshotting during the backup window.
To have these snapshots cleared up after the backup jobs run I have written the following PowerShell script to deal with the situation:
Lenovo ThinkServer System Manager default username and password are as follows:
Both username and a password are case sensitive. Please notice there is a zero ‘0’ and letter O in word len0vO..
Took me a while to work it out but there you have it!
I thought that it would be a good idea to finally install vCenter Multi-Hypervisor Manager to manage my 3rd party hosts i.e. Hyper-V – at least that was the initial idea anyway since I don’t have enough time to mess around with SCVMM for now. Multi-Hypervisor Manager server installation was pretty straight forward and so was the client. With plugin enabled in vSphere C# client I was able to see the relevant icon in my client:
but the next screen was not so pretty:
Basically ‘NoPermission’ but I can access vCenter server just fine since I have all the relevant rights! It turns out Multi-Hypervisor Manager assigns the default ‘Admin’ role only to the user specified during the installation of MHM and no one else. During the installation of MHM you have to specify the account that will be made administrator of the third-party hosts inventory:
Today I was testing some new Windows Server 2012 templates and noticed something rather odd. Basically my costomisations would cause the deployments from template to fail for no real reason. Error message that came up was:
A specified parameter was not correct. spec.identity.userData.computerName
(Not so) happy Monday morning!
First request of the day – one of the VM’s was unresponsive and had to be rebooted (RDP was hanging and no incoming connections were allowed). I’m thinking not a big deal so VM was rebooted but I have noticed that VMware Tools were not up to date so thought why not update them at the same time? This is where it all started to go wrong… At this point VM was not responding (which I knew about) AND VMware Tools install was totally stuck on some random percentage in Recent Tasks. Great start.
Few things I have tried before finding the proper solution:
Trying to cancel the install by right clicking on Initiated VMware Tools Install or Upgrade in Recent Tasks didn’t yield any results. Option was greyed out.
Powering off the VM was unsuccessful as well. Again, options to Power Off, Reset etc. were greyed out.
Ejecting the .iso file that’s responsible for VMware Tools install didn’t help since the .iso was not connected.
Here’s something rather interesting. I was about to increase size of thin provisioned disk on one of my VM’s and was greeted with my usual option (as expected) being greyed out (not so expected!) I certainly haven’t seen that before. Picture for illustration purposes showing what I’m on about:
I’m thinking since there is -000001.vmdk file present I must be running off a snapshot that prevents me from resizing the disk (which would make sense..) Another picture showing Snapshot Manager window:
In previous parts of my deployment how to’s I talked about deploying 7-Zip 9.20 and VLC Media Player 2.0.4 so if you haven’t seen that yet go and check it out.
In today’s post I wanted to share my deployment scripts for Barracuda Malware Removal Tool also known as re-skinned version of Malwarebytes. Barracuda Malware Removal Tool is part of Barracuda Web Filter Vx family of appliances so its a really good idea to take advantage of the software and deploy it out in your organisation.
First script is the Install.bat script which takes care of:
Adding EventViewer entry at the start/end of the deployment
Removing previous versions of Barracuda Malware Removal Tool or Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware
Deploying Barracuda Malware Removal Tool 1.46 (change the .exe name as appropriate)
Silently updating database definitions
Note: You can push the script below to x86 as well as x64 architectures.